Monday, June 20, 2011

June 20, 2011

So, today was our first day with kids! I think it was incredible. Of course everything didn't go perfectly. The people who are working over at the SAC center seemed to not really be on top of their stuff. They were upset that we didn't have the schedule that had not only the stuff we had to plan, but what they had to plan as well. How am I supposed to know what their activities are. If they didn't put them in our schedule, why would I have them. Idk why they don't have their own schedule printed out. But w/e. There are about 24 kids that were in the center yesterday, which is basically the size of my single room last year, and about 130 or so in the entire center. So, it is really different just having that amount of kids. Also, the kids always have three different activities that they can choose from, and then they can leave or go join another activity when they want to. This significantly cut back on the behavioral issues, which really makes sense since they are able to do more of what they want to do rather than being kind of forced into an activity. The kids are adorable. They are all older than I expected, which is kind of a bummer since I have officially figured out that preschool and kinders are my very favorite, but I still love them. There is this little kid named Aiden who has a poofy light brown afro and really reminds me of Nikolas, but an older version. No studdering either, lol. But he is adorable. This other little red headed kid named Oliver is very unique and quirky. I like him too. This one little girl named Mikayla I also really like. We played foozeball for like an hour almost yesterday during their free choice time. That was really nice, although this is her only week here sadly. I guess a lot of the kids here only come for a few of the weeks. I hope I will have some regulars that I am really able to bond with during my time here. One good thing about working, which I guess could seem like a bad thing if you have a different perspective, is the time that I have inbetween working and being here at the hotel to just read and stuff. I have a 45 min bus ride there, 1/2 hour wait til I work, then 1 hr lunch, 1/2 hour wait to catch the bus home, and then 45 min bus ride home. That is a lot of time altogether. So I got through like 140 pages of a book. I haven't been able to read recreationally in Lord knows how long, so it is really cool. I brought quite a few books, but I am going to have to find more I am thinking. I will have time on our weekend train rides too. Ok, so I get home today after yesterday when the maid had asked me to basically make my own bed. I mean, its not like my sheet, blanket, and cover aren't on top of eachother still in order on my bed. Its not like I threw them all over the room and separately put them all in a pile on the floor. So I walk in to my hotel room, and Rebecca's bed is perfectly made and looks beautiful. The maid didn't even touch mine. I laughed out loud. So, since I didn't lay them out like she wanted, she refused to make it because it takes too much time. I can't believe that! Isn't that her job? Doesn't she get paid to do this? Sorry I'm in a hurry in the morning and don't have time to lay my bed out perfectly so that I am able to have her finish making it for me. If I do that, I might as well make it myself. I'm not angry in the least bit, I just thought it was really funny. Well, that's all I have for today, hopefully tomorrow at day camp goes really well!

No comments:

Post a Comment